Bicycle News

The Lance Armstrong Debacle

Published by:

According to reports bicyclist Lance Armstrong, who was under criminal investigation will not be charged. Los Angeles U.S. Attorney Andre Birotte, Jr. said in an emailed statement that the seven time Tour de France champion and his racing team are no longer under criminal investigation by the Los Angeles U.S. Attorney’s Office or by the special agents of the U.S. Food, Drug Administration and the U.S. Postal Service.

The statement said that federal prosecutors in Los Angeles had been investigating possible performance enhancement drugs involving Armstrong. They stated they were making the announcement public after earlier matters in this investigation had leaked out to the media.

The investigation was led by FDA criminal investigator Jeff Novitzky, who had investigated steroid use by professional athletes San Francisco Giants baseball player Barry Bonds and Olympic sprinter Marion Jones. Both were convicted, Jones was convicted of lying to the Grand Jury about steroid use and Bonds was convicted of obstructing the investigation. Bonds is appealing the conviction.

Armstrong a testicular cancer survivor made a statement through his attorney Mark Fabiani, that the right decision has been made and he commends them for reaching the decision. Armstrong went on to say that he is looking forward to life as a father, competitor and advocated in the fight for cancer, without having the overshadowing investigation.
Armstrong age 40 retired from professional racing in February of 2011 to focus on Livestrong, a cancer charity he started and has denied the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs.

During his career of competitive cycling Armstrong passed nearly 500 drug tests over a span of 20 years. He was the Tour de France winner each year, which is the bicycling sport celebrated event, between 1995 and 2005 and road for the U.S. Postal Service team in his last Tour de France win.

Bicycle News

Bicyclist Injured By Shuttle Bus Settles for $6 Million

Published by:

February 10, 2012 – According to reports a bicyclist that was injured by a shuttle bus reached a settlement for $6 million.

According to the law firm of Callahan & Blaine in Santa Ana the names of everyone involved in the lawsuit are confidential and this bicycle accident settlement is the largest in Orange County history.
According to information that was released the bicyclist was injured on November 12, 2009 by a shuttle bus in the vicinity near John Wayne Airport.

The bicyclist identified as a man was injured when a shuttle bus pulled out in front of him and then rolled over him. The shuttle bus driver admitted that he did not see the bicyclist and failed to yield.

The man riding the bicycle suffered a fractured pelvis in several places and internal injuries. He has been left with chronic pain in his neck, back, pelvis and other areas.
The defense said that the bicyclist was impaired by marijuana and Xanax. They also said, that the cyclist was wearing dark clothing at night, with no reflective clothing or features on the bike at the time he was struck.

Bicycle News

Bicyclist Struck Suffers Serious Injuries

Published by:

February 14, 2012-According to reports a bicyclist that was struck suffered serious injuries in Irvine. According to Irvine Police Department Lt. Julia Engen the accident occurred at approximately 8:00 a.m. at Von Karman Avenue and Michelson Drive.

Lt. Engen said that a 28 year old bicyclist suffered serious injuries when struck Tuesday morning and was transported to an area hospital. The injuries the bicyclist suffered have not been released.

There was a SigAlert issued at the intersection where the bicycle accident occurred and the lanes were reopened at approximately 12:30 p.m. If you have any updates or info on measures taken by law enforcement or the city with respect to the safety issues, please contact us.